What is a Z file extension?
A Z file is compressed UNIX file used to archive files and save space. Like many UNIX compression formats, a Z file can only contain one file. However it can be used to deliver a group of files as long as they have been archived by a multi-file archive tool first. On a UNIX system, this file can be handled using the Compress or Decompress commands. On a Windows system, you can open Z files using WinZip.
How to open Z files
- Save the .z file to the desktop. If your compressed file was downloaded from a website, it may be saved in the Downloads folder in your Documents or user directory.
- Launch WinZip from your start menu or Desktop shortcut. Open the compressed file by clicking File > Open. If your system has the compressed file extension associated with WinZip program, just double-click on the file.
- Select all the files and folders inside the compressed file. Or multi-select only the files or folders you want to open by holding the CTRL key and left-clicking on them.
- Click 1-click Unzip and choose Unzip to PC or Cloud in the WinZip toolbar under the Unzip/Share tab.
- Choose the destination folder to place the extracting files and click "Unzip" button.
- Find your extracted files in the destination folder.
Open Z files on Windows or Mac
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- Internet Explorer 8 or later
WinZip Mac 9
- Mac OS X 10.8, 10.9, or 10.10
- Intel 64-bit processor
- Supports Apple Retina Displays
WinZip opens and extracts Z Compressed Archive Files—and many more formats
We designed WinZip to open and extract from the widest range of file formats, including all of the following:
Get WinZip now to open your Z file(s), then enjoy all that the world's most popular compression utility has to offer, including the easiest and most practical file compression, encryption, packaging, file management and data backup capabilities.
Buy WinZip Now
Also visit our partner site www.openthefile.net for more options to open Z files.