What is a 7Z file extension?
Files with the extension .7z are compressed archive files created with 7-Zip open source software. These files are created using a compression method called LZMA, which is an algorithm for lossless data compression—a type of compression known for reducing file size while preserving quality. Unlike some formats, 7Z files can contain multiple directories and files. If you receive a 7Z file, you can open it with WinZip by following the steps below. WinZip also has a version for Mac platforms that can be used to open, view, decompress and extract files and folders stored in 7Z files.
How to open 7Z files
- Save the .7z file to the desktop. If your compressed file was downloaded from a website, it may be saved in the Downloads folder in your Documents or user directory.
- Launch WinZip from your start menu or Desktop shortcut. Open the compressed file by clicking File > Open. If your system has the compressed file extension associated with WinZip program, just double-click on the file.
- Select all the files and folders inside the compressed file. Or multi-select only the files or folders you want to open by holding the CTRL key and left-clicking on them.
- Click 1-click Unzip and choose Unzip to PC or Cloud in the WinZip toolbar under the Unzip/Share tab.
- Choose the destination folder to place the extracting files and click "Unzip" button.
- Find your extracted files in the destination folder.
Open 7Z files on Windows or Mac
- Windows 11
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Internet Explorer 8 or later
WinZip Mac 9
- Mac OS X 10.8, 10.9, or 10.10
- Intel 64-bit processor
- Supports Apple Retina Displays
WinZip opens and extracts 7Z Compressed Archive Files—and many more formats
We designed WinZip to open and extract from the widest range of file formats, including all of the following:
Get WinZip now to open your RAR file(s), then enjoy all that the world's most popular compression utility has to offer, including the easiest and most practical file compression,
encryption, packaging, and data backup capabilities.
Buy WinZip Now
Also visit our partner site www.openthefile.net for more options to open RAR files.