What is a VMDK file?
Ever wondered "what is a vmdk file?". The VMDK file extension refers to "Virtual Machine Disk". It’s an open file format provided by VMware, mostly used for services for cloud computing and virtualization. Basically, vmdk files are virtual disk files containing all the info of a virtual machine. Non-virtualized machines can access individual system files and components, but virtual disks have all the necessary information on a single disk, enabling it for independent operations. So, a virtual disk containing vmdk file can operate as a single virtual machine. VMDK file extension is meant for server operations and is highly compatible with Corel’s Winzip.
How to open VMDK files
- Save the .vmdk file to the desktop. If your compressed file was downloaded from a website, it may be saved in the Downloads folder in your Documents or user directory.
- Launch WinZip from your start menu or Desktop shortcut. Open the compressed file by clicking File > Open. If your system has the compressed file extension associated with WinZip program, just double-click on the file.
- Select all the files and folders inside the compressed file. Or multi-select only the files or folders you want to open by holding the CTRL key and left-clicking on them.
- Click 1-click Unzip and choose Unzip to PC or Cloud in the WinZip toolbar under the Unzip/Share tab.
- Choose the destination folder to place the extracting files and click "Unzip" button.
- Now you know what VMDK format is and how to open it. Find your extracted files in the destination folder.
Open VMDK files on Windows or Mac
- Windows 11
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Internet Explorer 8 or later
WinZip Mac 9
- Mac OS X 10.8, 10.9, or 10.10
- Intel 64-bit processor
- Supports Apple Retina Displays
WinZip opens and extracts VMDK Compressed Archive Files—and many more formats
We designed WinZip to open and extract from the widest range of file formats, including all of the following:
Get WinZip now to open your VMDK file(s), then enjoy all that the world's most popular compression utility has to offer, including the easiest and most practical file compression, encryption, packaging, file management and data backup capabilities.
Buy WinZip Now