What is a UUE file?
UUE file extension is mostly used for sending documents via email safely, avoiding data corruption in the sending process. The extension was derived from Uuencode, a Unix program used for the encoding of files. UUE file format is native for Unix system and encoding and decoding of UUE files can be done easily with its embedded tools uuencode and uudecode. But, if you aim to use UUE files on Windows, you will need additional compression utility. Winzip is one of the best tool available for that purpose.
How to open UUE files
- Save the .uue file to the desktop. If your compressed file was downloaded from a website, it may be saved in the Downloads folder in your Documents or user directory.
- Launch WinZip from your start menu or Desktop shortcut. Open the compressed file by clicking File > Open. If your system has the compressed file extension associated with WinZip program, just double-click on the file.
- Select all the files and folders inside the compressed file. Or multi-select only the files or folders you want to open by holding the CTRL key and left-clicking on them.
- Click 1-click Unzip and choose Unzip to PC or Cloud in the WinZip toolbar under the Unzip/Share tab.
- Choose the destination folder to place the extracting files and click "Unzip" button.
- Find your extracted files in the destination folder.
Open UUE files on Windows or Mac
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- Internet Explorer 8 or later
WinZip Mac 9
- Mac OS X 10.8, 10.9, or 10.10
- Intel 64-bit processor
- Supports Apple Retina Displays
WinZip opens and extracts UUE Compressed Archive Files—and many more formats
We designed WinZip to open and extract from the widest range of file formats, including all of the following:
Get WinZip now to open your UUE file(s), then enjoy all that the world's most popular compression utility has to offer, including the easiest and most practical file compression, encryption, packaging, file management and data backup capabilities.
Buy WinZip Now