What is a TZ file?
A TAR archive compressed with a basic Unix compression algorithm forms a TZ file. It’s short for .TAR.Z as it combines a .TAR and a .Z file. It’s a native compression format for Unix OS. Using TZ files on Unix can be done with simple commands but if someone wants to access them in Windows, it requires compression utilities like Winzip.
How to open TZ files
- Save the .tz file to the desktop. If your compressed file was downloaded from a website, it may be saved in the Downloads folder in your Documents or user directory.
- Launch WinZip from your start menu or Desktop shortcut. Open the compressed file by clicking File > Open. If your system has the compressed file extension associated with WinZip program, just double-click on the file.
- Select all the files and folders inside the compressed file. Or multi-select only the files or folders you want to open by holding the CTRL key and left-clicking on them.
- Click 1-click Unzip and choose Unzip to PC or Cloud in the WinZip toolbar under the Unzip/Share tab.
- Choose the destination folder to place the extracting files and click "Unzip" button.
- Find your extracted files in the destination folder.
Open TZ files on Windows or Mac
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- Internet Explorer 8 or later
WinZip Mac 9
- Mac OS X 10.8, 10.9, or 10.10
- Intel 64-bit processor
- Supports Apple Retina Displays
WinZip opens and extracts TZ Compressed Archive Files—and many more formats
We designed WinZip to open and extract from the widest range of file formats, including all of the following:
Get WinZip now to open your TZ file(s), then enjoy all that the world's most popular compression utility has to offer, including the easiest and most practical file compression, encryption, packaging, file management and data backup capabilities.
Buy WinZip Now