Why do I need to unzip files?
Zip files are single files that contain one or more compressed files. People zip files to keep related groups of files together and to make files smaller so they are easier and faster to share by email or via the web.
Zip files are ideal for archiving since they save storage space. And, they are also useful for securing data using encryption.
WinZip allows you to archive zip file(s) so that you can organize, store, and save space on your computer.
How to unzip files with WinZip
- Launch WinZip from the start menu or Desktop icon. Open the compressed file by navigating to the folder using the WinZip Files pane and double clicking on the compressed file.
- If you only want to unzip some of the files, click on a file in the zip file pane and then check the box to unzip the files or unzip a folder by selecting the checkbox next to it.
- Click the on the Unzip to button in the Actions pane
- Choose the destination folder to place the uncompressed files and click "Unzip" button.
- Your extracted files will appear in the WinZip file pane in the selected destination folder.
3 quick ways to open a Zip file
- Right-click in Windows Explorer and choose "Open with WinZip"
- Double-click to launch WinZip
- Open WinZip and choose the file using the File pane
As you can see, it’s as easy as 1-2-3 to unzip files.
Try it for yourself – download the trial.